I stumbled across this chocolate cake recipe about a year ago. I was having a bad day and was craving some chocolate. It was too late to go to the shops and we didn’t have any chocolate in the house so I decided the next best thing was to make a chocolate cake but I didn’t want to spend ages in the kitchen conjuring one up.
I’d heard about the 5-minute chocolate cake in a cup but also knew that if I made one of these then my boys would be screaming out for one too.
After a little more searching, I came up with a cake that would suit us as a family and even better, it was able to be cooked in the microwave. This recipe has since become a family favourite.
It’s one of the easiest and quickest chocolate cakes to make. It’s rich and moist and my boys think it’s the best chocolate cake ever! They’ve even gone so far as to say it’s better than the chocolate cake we’ve bought in some cafes!
- 2 cups sugar
- ¾ cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ cups milk
- ½ cup oil
- 1 ¾ cups standard grade flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Beat together for 3 minutes on HIGH.
- Pour into a greased microwave safe container (I use a silicon baking tin).
- Cook for 20 minutes on MEDIUM. Allow to stand for 5-10 minutes before turning out.
- Allow to cool before icing.
I often just top mine with a dusting of icing sugar. For special occasions I go that extra mile and top with chocolate ganache icing.